A Police story

"It's okay, Mommy" said the 4 year old daughter to a woman, as they sit in the back of a police car together after witnessing her boyfriend, being shot by a police officer, after being pulled over.  The 4 year old was in the back seat when the shots were fired.  The woman filmed a Facebook Live video with her phone after the shooting, where you can see and hear the man, groaning and struggling to breathe, as he lay bleeding through his white T Shirt in the car.  You hear the police officer, who is obviously distressed, scream "F**K!!!" several times, as he breathed heavily and stayed outside the drivers side window, pointing his weapon at the man.

The woman starts explaining to those watching the video what happened, that the police officer asked him for his license and registration, her boyfriend reached for his wallet, while stating that he had a firearm and a permit to carry, before he could get his wallet out, or put his hands up, the officer shot the man, in the arm.  The officer interjected during the woman's story on the video, screaming, "I told him not to reach for it!!  I told him to get his hand off it!!"  She calmly corrects the officer and says, "You told him to get his I.D. sir, his drivers license."

Next on the video, the woman is removed from the car, and handcuffed, while filming, and later placed in the back of the police car with her daughter, still handcuffed.  Throughout the video, I heard the police officer scream "F**K!!" no less than 6 times, with 2 unintelligible, emotional screams as well.

The man who was shot died.  He was 32 year old Philando Castile.  He worked in a public school cafeteria, student's parents say he was known to push extra food on children, and give a borderline autistic child, who liked him, a hug everyday.  He was pulled over for a broken tail light.

Not that it matters, but Philando Castile did not have a criminal record, outside of a some minor traffic offenses, and 2 dismissed marijuana possession charges. 

I was stunned watching the video, and then in tears when the 4 year old girl started comforting her crying Mother, who began hysterically crying after realizing what had just happened.  "It's ok Mommy, I'm right here with you."

The man, woman, and little girl in this story are black, but you probably already knew that.

This would never have happened if they were white.

THIS. IS. A. PROBLEM.

No, we don't see what happened prior to the shooting.  You and I will never know what everyone involved was thinking and feeling at the time.   I hope that officer had a body camera on. I have to be honest here, I believe the woman about what happened.  Having watched the video, I just can't see how the officer could possibly feel that his own life was in danger and had no choice but to shoot him.  Based on the cop's reaction?  He seemed to me like someone who over reacted and effed up, BIG TIME, and is fully freaking out. If there wasn't a body camera on that cop, to back up the woman's version of what happened?  I worry that the officer will claim the man was reaching for a weapon when he shot him.  I can only hope the Facebook video will be considered, when it comes to what happens to that officer.

Listen, I respect police officers, I have friends and family who are in law enforcement.  I admire their choice to pursue a career serving and protecting the community, and the risks, fears, and sacrifices they each make with their families.   But something has gone horribly wrong.  So many police shootings across the country reek of racism, corruption, and overall...a lack of respect for life.  I deeply believe the majority of men and women in law enforcement are honest, hard working, ethical human beings who are as disgusted by these poor examples of their profession as I am. Do not misunderstand me.  I am pro police, I am pro black lives matter.  You don't have to pick sides.  All lives matter.  Stop making it about one side versus the other side.  We should all be on the same side.

Below is a link to the 10 minute video I watched, filmed by the woman.  Warning: it's disturbing, and you can see the man, bleeding, and dying in the beginning.

Link to graphic video


Comments

Most Popular Posts