Snowman pops

I'm not the craftiest, cutesy-est baker Mom, but if I have time, and a party to bring something to, I try.  Most times, it ends in a "Pinterest Fail"...
I had some modest success this time, so I thought I'd share.  I found a winter holiday treat that I successfully made with the help of my 4 year old son.  While it definitely took time, it wasn't too challenging, and is a good kid-friendly alternative to the dreaded, impossible cake pops.

Snowman pops


Ingredients:
1 package *double stuff* Oreo cookies
2 packages quick melt white vanilla candy coating (not available in the baking section at most grocery stores, found mine at Michael's Arts & Crafts, Wilton brand)
 Link to Wilton candy melts
Cake pop sticks (also at Michael's)
Orange Tic-Tacs (cut in half for noses)
mini chocolate chips (for eyes)
Black and/or Red frosting (the kind that dries)
Parchment paper

Directions:
Carefully unscrew your Oreo's, so all the creme filling is on one side of the cookie
Melt Vanilla quick melt candy coating according to directions in the microwave  (I did about a half package at a time, to avoid wasting any, if there is some leftover)
Dip cake pop sticks in melted candy and press into the Oreo with the creme filling, then re-attach the creme-less Oreo and gently press together
Once all your cookie sticks are attached, you start covering the Oreo's with the melted candy coating, IMPORTANT, don't try dipping the cookies, instead drizzle the melted candy over your cookie as you hold it over your bowl of melted candy coating.  If it seems too thick, you can add a bit of canola or vegetable oil to thin it out, see package instructions.
Rest on parchment paper
Before your candy coating dries, add your half Tic-Tac noses & mini chocolate chip eyes by carefully pushing into candy coating
Once they're dry add snowman mouths

Variations:  I tried making a little winter hat using pink sprinkles & a white Sixlet as the ball on top of the hat (see below) but it only worked for one.
I let my son decorate a few himself, can you guess which one below is his?



When things don't quite work...

Soooo, I ran out of candy coating, because I did a trial of this treat, with a handful of regular Oreo's, a couple weeks ago, anticipating failure.  I didn't have time to run to Michael's again for more candy coating, so I grabbed a bag of cookies and creme Hershey's kisses.  I melted those in a double boiler and this was the result.  Adding milk, or water didn't help, in fact both made it worse.  Turns out the cookie pieces in those kisses are bigger than they seem. Tried making the best of it with sprinkles, Tic-Tac/Sixlet faces and regular Hershey's kisses (could there be any MORE candy in my house?!) Some look okay, but they are definitely not snowman pops. I put them in the freezer to firm them up, which you don't have to do with the candy coating ones.

  I tried claiming that the 1 below with the red Sixlet nose was Rudolph the reindeer, and my son bought it. Heh heh.


Also, I wish I had used the mini chocolate chips as eyes, on the more successful snowman pops, since the black & red frosting I used is a sparkly gel that doesn't dry.  It looks and tastes fine, but it makes them harder to package/transport.

I originally found & followed the recipe from this blog, and used some of the tips in the comments below the recipe.

Happy Holidays!

Comments

Most Popular Posts