Yay! A friend!

Whenever you start a new job...there's a period of time that passes where you feel a little lonely and insecure...wondering if the people there like you, or if you like them, and if your being there is going to work out.

Reporting traffic on the radio is a unique job, but it isolates you somewhat.  You sit alone in a small-ish booth and it's up to you how much you interact with other traffic reporters and producers.  All in all, the number of people who are physically at my location, on my floor, is pretty low....like 8 people.  Our sales team and managers are on a completely different floor.  I didn't even SEE my big boss man until the Holiday luncheon today, and I have been working here for a month and a half.  I've worked for him before though, otherwise I would have tracked him down to introduce myself.

I only opt to hide out in my booth if I look like shit, and/or am in a foul mood because it's been a crappy day...which doesn't happen very often.  Otherwise, I pop in, just to say hello and small talk with the other reporters and producers here, I'm a social girl.

Well, one of the other traffic reporters here and I immediately hit it off.  We have a lot in common.  We're both Moms, she and I have worked with a lot of the same people over the years, and she loves baking adorable awesome desserts.  I don't make beautiful cupcakes like she does....but I like to pretend I do, so I try from time to time.  We talk about trying to squeeze in workouts, (our building has a pretty sweet FREE fitness center), what time to eat dinner when you work until 7pm, what we're planning to make for the upcoming holiday parties.  Normal conversations between coworker friends...but for me, so fun! We sealed the deal after the holiday luncheon today...while walking back to work together, we both said how glad we were that the other works here.

There's nothing better than having a friend at work you can talk endlessly to about silly crap your excited about like a new outfit, or finding the perfect glue to repair the ornaments your making for your homemade Christmas craft gifts. (shout out to Cheryl!) I make time to see my friend from my last job, and we email each other constantly.  Work friends totally make working more fun.

Comments

  1. Yay!!! I feel the same way. I love emailing about all the silly crap!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And this is Cheryl...excuse the weird username that's showing up!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Most Popular Posts