Fun in radio

Working in the radio business, especially if you're on-air, means basically no job security. A new company purchased the station I work for, and our sister station down the hall too. The sister station's airstaff were all let go, and a new format is in it's early stages there now. It was sad to see the end of a radio station I have grown accustomed to, but the new company allowed them to have final "shows," so their send off created a lot of real "moments" that meant something to both the airstaff and the audience. It was nostalgic, especially for me and all the other kids (many who are now grown ups) who grew up here and listened to "Q" in our high school and college years. This kind of thing never happens, usually you just finish your show one day, get called into the bosses office who tells you you're fired, and that's that. I'm happy these cool people got to go out in a better, heads held high, kinda way.

Now is when things are bound to get really interesting at work. A brand new company with big plans for the new station. Not sure what they'll do with the station I work for...so far...nothing. Now is when some people will panic...question the people in charge...be negative out of fear of failure. Not me. I'm going to keep doing my job, the best that I can..and hope for the best. I could end up being a part of a great company from it's very beginning and that's exciting. Why not? What do I have to lose? Oh yeah, my job. Ah well...it is radio.

Comments

  1. Don't know how you stand the uncertainty but I guess it goes with the territory. Glad your ratings have been so awesome, lately...that has to count for something. Hopefully, management will keep their focus on the new station and leave the Loop alone or maybe even give you some resources to make it even better.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Most Popular Posts