Dewey

I was named Jill, but at some point when I was a little kid, I became Dewey.  My Dad loves telling the story... When I was around 2 years old, he and I were at the grocery store and the cashier asked me what my name was.  I answered "Dewey!" and cracked up laughing.  My Dad says I did the same thing many times after that...and so from then on...within my family, my nickname was Dewey.

When people call me Dewey, (both my parents, and a few of my Aunts and Uncles rarely call me anything else) it makes me feel good.  Like a kid.  I had a wonderful, happy, spirited childhood.  I have ton of memories of being silly and weird, and having a really fun time just being a kid and loving life.

I want to pay more attention to these moments in my life.  They happen (mostly) everyday.  I decided what I'd like to do with this blog.  I will post "Dewey" moments.   Stuff that happens that makes me feel good...warm & fuzzy stuff.  Things that make me feel true joy and happy to be alive.   Maybe you think it's cheesy, but I don't.  Being cynical gets old.  I want to be someone who doesn't care about what's on TV right now.  I want to stop feeling like I need to compete with other people to get a better car, job, house, etc.  I want to be done with my own inner battles to be more successful, get thinner, diet more, and dress better. I don't want to worry about if my kid walks or talks at the "right" time, or if it's before or after yours did.  I just want to live my life, do what I need to do to be happy, and teach my kid about what really matters in life.  

I feel like our society has become just plain dysfuntional.  Why are we competing with each other when we should be supporting each other?  I want to do whatever I can to create more community and cooperation.    I think our culture is screwed up, and I don't want to participate in it anymore.  Success isn't about "stuff."  It's about love, friends, family, and community.  I want to do better for the sake of myself, my family and all the incredible people I have in my life.

Today's Dewey Moment:

I do Zumba (a latin dance exersize routine) 3 times a week at home.  I'm doing it in part to get my "cardio" in, so I can drop the rest of this lingering baby weight, but I realized another (and more important) reason that I do it.  It feels good to dance.  I love to go overboard and dance all crazy and try to get my husband's attention when he's across the room on the computer.  I love it if he looks up and laughs at me when I'm making crazy faces, and exaggerating the dance moves.  My babyman dances along with me in his jumperoo too, and I often "perform" for him too...he really gets into it when there's clapping.  Can't wait for more Zumba fun in my living room later today.

Comments

Most Popular Posts