Take a Mumsday

I took a Mumsday yesterday. What's that, you ask? I made it up...but I want it to become a real thing. A legit trend. It felt GREAT. A Mumsday is a day off from being on top of things. A day to blow off dinner, ask the hub to pick up take out. A day where I sat down and chilled the F out. I ignored my to do list, watched a TV show, and ate an ice cream sandwich, in the middle of the afternoon, because I felt like it.

Why "Mumsday," what does the word Mumsday even mean? Well I was going to call it "Momsday," but that's not fair to a woman who works her butt off, is busy and stressed, isn't technically a Mom, but also deserves a break. Or a Dad who does the same, (I don't know many men who take on the majority of the household work, but I'm sure there are a few out there). I was thinking about the phrase "Mums the word," which means of course, being silent, saying nothing, and since I did a lot of nothing on my day, I went with it.

If you work, whether it's at a job somewhere, or you work as a mom, or you're a work from home mom, or you don't have kids, but you work your ass off, manage your household, care for yourself, and care for others, and and take it too far at times...I encourage you to take a Mumsday. I can't speak for you, but I know I'm not alone. I take on too much, say yes to everything, get overwhelmed, start to unravel. I realized in the last day or 2, I am flipping TIRED.  I crossed over into a zombie, grumpy, yelly, tired version of myself. I'm not my best when I'm that tired, none of us are. There isn't enough caffeine in anything to re-energize, when your running on empty. I needed a day. You probably do too. I'm here to tell you to take it. Don't ask. Just do it.

I had finished my day at work already, but decided I was done for the day. After an especially long busy, stressful day at work, I just didn't have anything left to give. I didn't want to stop at the store on my way home, dig through the fridge, chop veggies and fruit for lunches for the next day. Start some laundry, walk the dog, pick up poop, pick up the kids from school, clean the cat litter, figure out what to make for dinner, do homework with kids, make dinner, make lunches for the next day, clean up the kitchen, start the bedtime routine. So, what happened? I just skipped all that shit. Just for that one day. Ok....well, not ALL of it. I still picked up my kids, I read with my second grader for 15 mins, which was the only part of his homework I felt like doing. Other than that...I chilled the F out, watched TV for the first time in weeks. Let the kids run around until their dad got home with Thai takeout. My husband picked up the slack and did great. Yours will too. I sent him a text in the middle of the afternoon to inform him, that I was "off" for the rest of the day, and he needed to take over. After dinner, I didn't clean up. I told him I was taking a shower, and that he would need to make lunches for both kids for the next day. I took a shower, said good night to everybody and went to bed. Got 7 1/2 hours of sleep. (I get up for work at 2:45 AM, by the way, so I went to bed at 7:15 PM).

I don't mean every day, or all day, but 1 day of every single week, I am going to make a point to call it my Mumsday, and take some time for myself. It will make me a better “me” the other 6 days. Everything that can wait...I will choose to let it wait. Because I'm a creature of habit, I think I'm going to make my day Wednesday. It's mid week, and could be something to look forward to, if I actually stick to it.

I'm not saying to let things go to shit, not pick up your kid at school, not let your dog out to wee, but what if...for just 1 day of every week, you choose to skip the stuff you can, and give yourself the attention and care you give everything else.

It's a flaw in our generation, I think. I got my nails done, worked out regularly, shopped and lunched with girlfriends like crazy before I got married and had kids. Now? I NEVER take time to do something for myself. There is only so much time in every day, and I feel so much pressure to accomplish as much of my "to do" list as possible, both at work, and outside of work, but it never ends. Knowing my kids will only be kids for so long doesn't help either. For me, it just makes me feel more pressure to make their childhood fun and fulfilling, while they get a great education, and engage in sports, or group activities they're in to, etc. I don't know what the answer is, to getting a grip on things, but I will say, just taking ONE day (in my case, it was only one afternoon), made me feel fantastic and relaxed. Baby steps.




Comments

Most Popular Posts