10 Things to NEVER say to a pregnant woman.

I originally wrote this when I was pregnant with my son in 2010, but have already had a few of these, or similar comments said to me now that I'm pregnant with my 2nd child. Why, oh why don't people know that pregnancy, in general, is a beautiful thing and NOT a free pass to comment on a woman's body?! Every woman's body handles a pregnancy differently.  Some lucky gals gain 15 pounds and look they have a beach ball under their shirt, and then there's the rest of us.   Did I mention pregnancy hormones are crazy, and we are already extra sensitive?  One final very important note: don't you go touching a pregnant belly, unless it is a belly you would reach out and touch, if she were not pregnant.  Please ask first, otherwise it's creepy.

10 Things to NEVER say to a pregnant woman

10. “Wow, you're big already! I hope you don’t get TOO big!” (you’re 6 months pregnant)

9. "Let me see your face....you're definitely having a girl, because a girl pulls all the beauty from the mother, and her face changes during pregnancy."

8. "Wow, do you have twins in there?" or "Are you sure there's only one kid in there??" Both comments written below pregnant photos of me on facebook. *This 2nd pregnancy, the twins comment was said to me by someone else in my Zumba class.  It took everything I had not to say "Listen lady, I'm trying to stay active here, shut your face!" I'm sure they think they're being cute and funny, but it makes a pregnant girl feel like she looks FAT.

7. "Oh my god, you got HUGE!"

6. "You're a LOT bigger than she is" (she is a girl due about a week before, or after you are).

5. "Holy crap, when's that thing popping out, like tomorrow?" (You're due date is 5 weeks away) Side note: why is it a thing? Don't they know it's a baby?

4. "You look really tired. You should really get your rest now, because you won't get any sleep after the baby is born."

3. "I feel like you've been pregnant for 11 months!"

2. "So, this is your first? Good Luck! With my first, I was in labor for 47 hours and the baby didn't sleep for more than 30 minutes until they turned 2."

1. "Aren't you worried about losing all that weight after the baby is born?"

Of course, all that truly matters is nuturing the growing life inside of me, and the outside appearance shouldn't matter so much. I'm vain enough to admit I do care about what people think about my appearance, pregnant, or not pregnant. I don't care enough to say no to ice cream, or become pregorexic, but I still care.

A bit of advice from me to you, if you make a comment to a woman about her pregnant belly, just tell her she looks great, or beautiful, or glowing, or stunning. Even if she looks like a hippo, either tell her she looks great, or don't say anything. If she makes fun of herself for her elephant like feet, sausage fingers, or her rapidly widening ass, don't join in, even if it's your wife or girlfriend. If you tell her something, even jokingly, that makes her feel fat, or ugly, while pregnant, I'm telling you right now....even if she doesn't write a blog about it, she will remember it forever.


Here I am, at 32 weeks (8 months).

Comments

  1. Really these are most valuable tips. Thanks for it. Have you another blog / website about pregnancy symptoms that I want to read and know more about pregnancy. let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In your blog I was happy to see your article, better than last time, and have made great progress, I am very pleased. I am looking forward to your article will become better and better.
    See more
    bà bầu uống nước dừa
    3 tháng đầu thai kỳ
    3 tháng cuối thai kỳ
    các xét nghiệm sàng lọc trước sinh
    làm xét nghiệm sàng lọc trước sinh
    sàng lọc thai nhi

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Most Popular Posts