All Natural Organic Home Made Body Butter

Every read the ingredients on the back of your body lotion or body cream?  What is DMDM Hydantoin? Octyldodecyl Myristate?  You know what?  Nevermind.  Let's (try to) make our own.

I make my own baby wipes, which is FAR less costly, and I feel much better when I use one to wipe my sensitive skinned 2 year old's sticky face.  Here's a link to that recipe -- Home Made Wipes

Here's what you need for the Organic Home Made Body Butter.

Raw Cocoa Butter
Got mine on Amazon --- Link

Coconut Oil
Got it at Costco --- $24.99 for 2 huge 42 oz. tubs

Essential Oil (I used peppermint)
Also got this on Amazon --- Link



I'm thinking now that having a standing mixer is key.  I do not.   I'm not sure mine turned out right.  Whatevs.  I tried.   Actually WE tried, my Mom and I decided to make it together and put it into tiny jars to give away for Christmas gifts.   We used the hand mixer for an estimated 30 minutes.  My forearm was cramping at one point, but I think we let it become too firm in the fridge, which is why it took so long to whip up.

Here are the jars I found, just over 3 oz. each a quite cute.   Link


2 cups Raw Cocoa Butter (smells like chocolate)
2 cups Coconut Oil
2 tsp of your chosen essential oils (used peppermint, so the final product smells like a peppermint patty!)

It takes time to get the cocoa butter measured, you have to hack at it, into hunks and put it in your measuring cup.  Be careful which knife you use, it may end up bent.

Coconut oil takes a little time to scoop out too, depending on the temp. in your house.  The cooler it is, the firmer the coconut oil.

In a Sauce pan, on medium heat, melt Cocoa Butter and Coconut Oil, stirring together....takes 5-10 minutes.  Pour oil mix into your mixing bowl, put into the fridge to cool (what our recipe said to do) and let it cool and return back to a soft solid form.   We noticed in the fridge it can cool unevenly, and we waited too long, it became rock hard, versus soft, crisco like, so it was a pain in the arse to beat with the mixer and took 40 minutes to become "fluffy"  If we got it out when it was softer, I'm sure would have whipped up better.  (confirmed, did a 2nd batch, kept an eye on it in the fridge and stirred it regularly, removing it when it was around pudding thickness, and that time it stayed fluffy and light even after being put into a container)

Once it is a soft solid, add your essential oil, and mix (hand mixer or standing mixer) on high for 10 minutes...or as long as it takes to become light and fluffy, whipped cream-like in texture.  Transfer to an airtight container, or numerous jars, and that's it!

Store in room temperature, and if it becomes too firm, move it to a warmer spot.  If it's turning to a liquid form, move to a cooler spot.

How much will you get?  We filled up 24, 3 oz. gift jars, so 72 oz. or so.  Started with 32 oz of product and ended up with 72, more than double.  Also, if you buy bulk sizes of the products as I did, you'll have enough for several batches.  Hope you like it!

Here's the link to the original recipe I followed... Link







Comments

Most Popular Posts