This RadioMom is gonna be on TV too

Oh mah gah.     I've been given the opportunity to do my traffic reporting "thing" on CAMERA...on a big network TV station in town, and by town, I mean CHICAGO.   I am so excited!  So nervous!  What to wear?  What to say?  How do I gesture at a computer generated map on a green screen without looking incredibly awkward?  How do I learn how to do my own hair and makeup so it'll look good on TV when I only have a few days to learn?   My list of freak-out questions could go on and on, but hopefully I'll get it together.

The clothes.

After almost 14 years working in the radio business, believe me, I do NOT have a TV appropriate wardrobe.  I've tried to dress more "grown up" in recent years, but jeans & khakis are the norm, and neither will work on TV.  Having said that, this new position doesn't include a wardrobe budget (I've heard that many people who work [on camera] in TV get a big hunk of $ to spend on clothes every so often for their wardrobe budget. Wouldn't that be awesome??)  Anything I purchase comes out of my family's pocket, and I need, well...everything!  We're saving for our next house and money is tight, so I've decided to challenge myself and try to find creative ways to build a TV wardrobe as inexpensively as possible, while (hopefully) not making myself look cheap.  If money weren't an issue, I'd be at Ann Taylor, J Crew, and Banana Republic, shopping like I've never shopped before.  I'm looking for bright, bold solid colors, in clothes that are somewhat form-fitting so it looks right on TV.  Anything too loose or baggy can look sloppy, but having said that, I'm not some skinny mini girl, so I'm not comfortable wearing super tight stuff either.  The camera shot for traffic is basically from the hips up, so my top half matters a lot more than the bottom, but you can see a little of what I wear on the bottom as well.  Jewelry and belts help a lot, but they can't be too big.  Patterns are tough to pull off, I'm told they only work if they're very subtle.   No wearing green or the map will show up ON my clothing.  I already had to return a dress with a green color block from the chest up.  I brought it in to test it against the green screen, held it against my body, and the traffic map showed up ON the green part of the dress, so...I was basically a floating head with a blue torso.  Ha!   

Here's my plan: I'll post photos of me wearing my TV outfits, with details of what each item cost, and where I got it.  I'm going to try and find the best deals possible, while attempting to put together polished, classic looks that I think are "me."  I'd love to hear your feedback on your favorites, or ideas on where to shop, and how else I can mix and match pieces I've already got.

If you're in the Chicago area and would like to catch me on the tube, my next weekend reporting weekend traffic on NBC 5 Chicago is September 29th and 30.   I'll be on Saturday 9/29, twice during the NBC Chicago news program from 6:00am-7:30am.   Sunday 9/30, my reports will be during the 6am news and again early in the 8am news program.

I shall call it.... "The Cheap (but don't look cheap) TV Challenge"

Week 1



Look 1:

Magenta cardigan, Marshalls $24.99
Dark Blue Chambray A-line knee length skirt, Marshalls $12.99
Pewter Braided necklace, Forever 21 $12.80
Black belt, Jill's closet
Earrings, Jill's jewelry box

Total out of pocket $50.78





Look 2:

Purple Cynthia Rowley Dress, Marshalls $39.99
Silver & Black skinny leopard belt, Marshalls $12.99
White Half Sleeved Button-up, Jill's closet
Silver hoop earrings, Jill's jewelry box

Total out of pocket $52.98

Comments

Most Popular Posts